New Single Family Home
The owners of Pa Ka Makani Farm contacted Green Sand due to our experience and reputation as the industry leaders in sustainable projects.
Clients Vision / Project Challenges:
The primary goal of the project was to create a beautiful and highly sustainable off-the-grid project while not making any compromises to a modern lifestyle.
Designer, Architect, Sustainability Consultant, Client Advocate
• LEED for Homes Certified Platinum Level
• 100% off the electric grid, photovoltaic system with battery back up
• Designed for 100% self-sufficiency regarding water needs, including rainwater harvesting and potable water purification
• Graywater management system and use onsite
• Blackwater management system and use onsite
• Focus on natural and local materials to the fullest extent possible
• Natural ventilation helps contribute to a healthy indoor environmental quality. (AC in master bedroom if needed)
• Natural daylighting to reduce the need for using lights during the day, saves energy use and the resulting carbon footprint
• Extensive waste management and reduction program to minimize construction related waste
• Natural materials used when feasible
• Low VOC materials such as paints, coatings, sealants, and adhesives utilized